Saturday, April 19, 2008

EARTHQUAKE!!

At 4:37 a.m. Friday morning Husband #1 and I were awakened to what seemed like a mysterious installation of a MAGIC FINGERS on our bed during the night. Several thoughts ran through our heads as our bed and house continued to shake. I must say when awakened at 4:30 your brain does not just jump to "earthquake". Storm, wind, dog jumping on the bed, furnace about to explode all came first. As the doors were rattling and the glasses on the baker's rack tinkled we realized this was indeed what was happening...right here in St. Louis! Turns out it was a 5.2 on the Richter scale about 100 miles away in Illinois.

We were both shocked the kids did not wake up and come barreling up the stairs. I have since heard that it is more noticable on the second floor of a building (where our room is located) and the kids are on the first floor.

There was another one about 10:15 a.m. I was at Double A's preschool and I was the only one who felt it. It was a 4.5 on the scale and was definitely not as noticable. None since then that I have felt or heard about. Very interesting and not what I expected here in Missouri!

On another semi-related note...as we were pulling out of the driveway to go to preschool, I noticed a dead baby bunny in our yard. I got out of the car and poked it with a stick and it was indeed dead. It looked uninjured and as if it was just sleeping (with its eyes open). Double A's theories about this death were are follows: 1-the bunny did not have enough food. 2-the earthquake rolled a rock into the bunny and killed it. Husband #1 had to scoop it and toss it when he got home (I don't do dead).

No comments: